The MTA Ethnic Minority Affairs Committee invites all MTA members to participate in free forums during March and April to discuss, “What It Means to Decolonize the Curriculum.”
This is a great opportuniity to exchange ideas and formulate next steps with fellow MTA members — and earn professional development points. Participants may earn up to 2.5 hours toward PDPs. All attendees will receive a certificate of attendance.
The forums will center around these topics:
- What does a colonized curriculum and/or structure look like? (Create a working definition of colonized curriculum/structure.)
- How has colonized curriculum shaped your education/work environment?
- How would your education/work environment have been changed if you had been taught a decolonized curriculum?
- Is decolonizing necessary?
- Decolonizing vs. diversifying: Is there a difference?
- Do you see your district/employer being supportive about decolonizing curriculum? If not, how can we get them on board? What are the barriers?
- As educators, what steps can we take to decolonize curriculum?
Forum Dates and Locations
Saturday, March 23, 2019 | 9:30 am - 12:30 pm Reading Memorial High School, 62 Oakland Road, Reading, MA 01867
Wednesday, March 27, 2019 | 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm Education Association of Worcester, 397 Grove Street, Suite #1, Worcester, MA 01605
Saturday, March 30, 2019 | 9:30 am - 12:30 pm Education Association of Worcester, 397 Grove Street, Suite #1, Worcester, MA 01605
Saturday, March 30, 2019 | 9:30 am - 12:30 pm MTA Quincy Headquarters, 2 Heritage Drive, 8th Floor, Quincy, MA 02171
Saturday, March 30, 2019 | 9:30 am - 12:30 pm Pittsfield High School, 300 East Street, Pittsfield, MA 01201
Saturday, April 6, 2019 | 9:30 am - 12:30 pm Springfield Education Association, 1000 Wilbraham Road, Springfield, MA