Statewide Executive Board Meeting Publick House, Sturbridge, MA Friday, December 15, 2017
Attending: Sherry Horeanopoulos (APA President/FitchburgSU), Charlie Cianfarini (APA Vice President/MCLA), Michael Pelletier (President/SalemSU), Katie D’Urso (MTA), Alan Jackson (President/WorcesterSU), Kathi Bradford, APA Secretary (Westfield SU), Mark Powers (President/Framingham), Howie Larosee (President, MassArtSU), Edward Vacha, (MassMaritime), Maribeth Wrobel (Membership/WorcesterSU)
Jim Murphy, Treasurer (MassArt), Rich Sutter (President/WestfieldSU), Aaron Childs (APA Membership/WestfieldSU), Mike Storey (President/BridgewaterSU),
I. Call to Order at 10:15am by Sherry
II. Approval of Minutes
- Motion to approve the minutes of November 17th meeting made by AJ and seconded by Edward. PASSED 8‐0‐0
- Motion to approve annual meeting minutes due to lack of quorum made by AJ and seconded by Mark. PASSED 8‐0‐0
III. President’s Report
- Negotiation meeting scheduled for January 18th, 10am in Auburn.
- We hope to be done. Outstanding issues re: Campus Police still on deck.
- We want to stay in line with MSCA.
- Katie suggested sending our thoughts in advance to Jim. She also hopes we are done in January and indicated that Suzanne shared unity 509, Social workers may settle soon. We could do a “me too” clause.
- Discussion about negotiation issues we want to keep on the table:
- The working “group”
- Sick leave and vacation buy back
- Police issues.
- Local president’s need an election chair by January meeting. March 1 nominations due for statewide election. Discussed process and timeline.
- HELC: Met last Friday. Most discussion was about JANUS. We have been asked to support the efforts to keep membership up. Sherry will contact Suzanne to discuss her involvement with Higher Ed before we take on their fight. We feel Suzanne should be the face of our MTA and she should visit campuses.
- Podcast will be sent out to us to share.
- Mark, Sherry, Katie and Framingham member will meet re: CAS hearing on Jan 5. Hearing is 1/30.
IV. Treasurer’s Report‐ Jim
- Payroll due on Tuesday, January 23, by 12:00pm – please get payroll in on time.
- Please see Jim’s email re: treasurer’s report.
- Motion to approve Treasurer’s report by Howie, 2nd by Charlie. PASSED 8‐0‐0
V. Membership and Data – Aaron
- No report
VI. Health and Welfare Report – AJ
- Meeting was 12/8
- Usage going down
- Looking at possible tax from federal gov’t. Cost will be passed through the plan with higher deductible.
- Katie suggests asking for increase in contract.
VII. Committee Reports – No reports
VIII. Old/New Business
- Janus – plan to have APA leaders talk to 20 people on campus and ask them to talk to 20 regarding their membership benefits.
- Create a benefit document for APA with items we have “won”. Discussion about ways to let MTA know we want support in order to give support.
- Bylaws – we will propose bylaws changes for the ratification vote. Would like to keep standing committees if they are effective. Want to keep the working group. Sherry shared a document with proposed bylaws changes. Some options are Professional Development, Budget/Finance, Nominations and Elections and Government Relations and Citizenship. Possible website committee with Webmaster. (With stipend like membership) Discussed duties of webmaster. Discussed qualifications of the Treasurer. Will review at the January meeting. Need to resolve the difference between succession and Article VIII, Section 3. Would like to hold info sessions at each campus.
- Negotiations – Katie shared an idea about salary increases. Please come to the Jan 18th negotiations meeting for 9:30am to prepare for 10am.
- MTA conference is May 4‐5. Please try to bring 2‐3 people from your campus.
– Motion to adjourn by Mark, second by AJ. PASSED 8‐0‐0
Next Meeting: Auburn, MA. January 19, 2018. 10:00am
Sent after the meeting:
Katie’s proposal idea for contract negotiations…
1.5 year agreement Jan. 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018
Upon ratification: a .75% bonus to all bargaining unit members employed on July 1, 2017
- July 1, 2017: a 1% across the board increase to all bargaining unit members employed on July 1, 2017 (retroactive)
- PLUS an additional 1% across the board increase retroactive to July 1, 2017 if fiscal year 2018 tax revenues equal or exceed $27.072 billion (as defined in Sept. 25, 2017 BHE proposal)
- January 1, 2018 a 1% across the board increase retroactive to January 1, 2018 to all bargaining unit members employed on January 1, 2018.
2 year agreement July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2020 Salary:
- July 1, 2018 a 1% across the board increase to all bargaining unit members employed on July 1, 2018.
- January 1, 2019 a 1% across the board increase to all bargaining unit members employed on January 1, 2019.
- July 1, 2019 a 1% across the board increase to all bargaining unit members employed on July 1, 2019.