Annual Statewide Meeting 2020
12:00pm, Friday, November 15, 2019 Fitchburg State University, Fitchburg, MA Hammond Main Lounge
- Sherry Horeanopoulos – APA Statewide President/Fitchburg APA President
- Kathi Bradford – APA Secretary
- Maria Brunelle – APA Treasurer
- Jim Murphy – APA Past Treasurer
- Aaron Childs – APA Membership Coordinator
- Alan Jackson – Vice Chair and APA Rep to and Vice Chair of Health and Welfare Fund
- Mark Powers – Chair, APA Employee Relations Working Group
- Catherine Santiago – MTA Field Representative
- Seth Bean – Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts APA Chapter President
- Brian Cahillane – Westfield APA Chapter President
- Jane Decatur – Framingham APA Chapter President
- Mike Pelletier – Salem APA Chapter President
- Mike Storey – Bridgewater APA Chapter President
- Edward Vacha – Massachusetts Maritime Academy APA Chapter President
- 36 members of Fitchburg APA Chapter
- Kirkland Albrecht & Frederickson LLC (Auditors)
Call to Order
12:15 pm by Sherry Horeanopoulos, APA President
Approval of Minutes
Approval of Minutes from November 16, 2018 – Minutes held until December Executive Board meeting due to lack of quorum.
- Treasurer’s Report by Maria Brunelle, Treasurer
- Report from the Auditors with an A+ for Jim Murphy, outgoing Treasurer for his efforts.
President’s Report – Sherry Horeanopoulos
- Sherry discussed the year in review including Janus vs. AFSCME/Freedom to join. Thanked the group for the number of calls, letters, etc regarding this.
- Evaluation check-in. Timeline was 11/1/19.
- Reminder about the vacation cap at 375 by June 30, 2020.
- Alliance with MCCC and MSCA
- Introduced Catherine Santiago, MTA who explained the Paid Family Medical Leave.
- She shared the upcoming Higher Ed conference on January 10-11 – winter skills program.
- Higher Ed Advocacy Day
- Fund our Future Campaign continuous
- Upcoming items:
- Bargaining for 2020-2023
- PFML items
- Regaining lost accrual
- Not waiting for faculty to come to the table
- Member survey – please do it to share your bargaining ideas.
- Bargaining for 2020-2023
- Sherry updated her members regarding the Turkey Program and Grievance Officer
Membership and Data – Aaron Childs
- 1431 members – same as last year
- 112 non-paying, 9 since last year
Health and Welfare Report – Alan Jackson, Representative to the Health and Welfare Fund Committee
- Dental program/eye glass stipend update
- They have 6 months operating expenses budget. Worked hard to accomplish this.
- Still barebones. Might be time for management to listen to new plans/ideas.
- Contract – Employee relations working group update –Mark Powers
- Explained group and asked for negotiation ideas for March negotiations.
- Open Q and A from the floor
- Motion to adjourn at 12:54pm by Mark Powers, second by Reba DuRoti. Unanimous.