Minutes 2020-12

10:00am, Friday, December 18, 2020 – Zoom


APA Statewide:

  • Sherry Horeanopoulos, President and Fitchburg State President
  • Charlie Cianfarini, Vice President
  • Mark Powers, Secretary
  • Maria Brunelle, Treasurer
  • Aaron Childs, Membership Coordinator
  • Liz Novak, Web Manager
  • Catherine Santiago, MTA Field Representative

APA Chapter Presidents:

  • Seth Bean, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts
  • Brian Cahillane, Westfield State University
  • Jane Decatur, Framingham State University
  • Susan McNeil, Massachusetts College of Art & Design
  • Mike Pelletier, Salem State University (Joined at 11:05am)
  • Mike Storey, Bridgewater State University
  • Edward Vacha, Massachusetts Maritime Academy
  • Peter Fenuccio, Worcester State University

Call to Order


Approval of Minutes

Friday, October 16th, 2020

  • Amendments: None
  • Motion to approve membership report as presented/amended made: by J. Decatur
  • 2nd by: S. McNeil
  • Vote: 7-0-1
  • Action: Motion Carries

Public Comments


President’s Report – Sherry Horeanopoulos

Contract updates – Membership needs to vote on ratification of MOA…January 4th or the following week on January 11th. Will create a five minute video explaining the MOA to distribute to the membership prior to voting.
MTA Field Representatives to campuses – no actual memo has been issued from the MTA stating who the reps are or the timeline that this is to take place.
Questions that need to be answered: What does MTA expect of APA? What does APA expect of MTA?

Concern regarding Chapter President Monthly Stipends…. Should it be increased? Currently set to $225.00/month as of 2017.

Treasurer’s Report – Maria Brunelle

Payroll due on Monday, December 21, 2020 by 12:00pm.

Approval of November report

  • Amendments: None
  • Motion to approve membership report
    • presented/amended made by: S. McNeil
    • 2nd by: C. Cianfarini
    • Vote: Unanimous
    • Action: Motion Carries

Membership and Data – Aaron Childs

  • 1363 Overall Membership since October 2020. A decrease of 4.
  • 119 Non-Dues Paying Member. An increase of 1 since November 2020
  • All email addresses of all members now on file. 89 of these are currently personal emails.

Website – Liz Novak

  • Published the approved November minutes

Health and Welfare Report – Mike Storey

Notes from December 11, 2020 H&W Fund meeting:

  • Fund (Jack Nicolas) reported a post-election bump in November of approximately $160K. Overall International equities were down but over the year the fund has improved by 12% with majority in stock market. Those funds deposited in a bank are only earning .6% interest. The increase in fund profit easily pays for the funds operating budget for the year.
  • Committee approved a 3-year contract extension for the fund’s consulting group KD/HPI. Increases were:
    • 2020: $120K
    • 2021: $121K
    • 2022: $125K
    • 2023: $129K
  • Mercer was previous consultant who charged $134K back in 2014. It was recommended that after this 3-year extension both KD/HPI and Metlife both go out to bid before next renewal. Good to see what else is out there and keep them competitive.
  • Metlife rep (Mike Abela) reported that during the pandemic Claims paid through Oct 2020 were down 5.2% from previous year. Fund may see a premium refund in January if trend continues through Nov and Dec.
  • Patricia Moran of Mintz Levin (legal consultants) noted that the amendment for bylaw change to decrease number necessary for a quorum had been digitally signed by all representatives for H&W trustees. If original signatures on one form is necessary she will reach out to trustees to get done.
  • Next virtual meeting on Feb 26.

Committee Reports

Budget Committee – Mike Storey

  • No updates

Employee Relations Working Group – Mark Powers

  • No updates. Will invite Charlie, Susan, and Brian to meet to discuss topics to have ready to present the Working Group.
  • Maybe do a new survey listing the top 10 concerns of the membership but also review items on “Negotiations List” [see end of this document]

Professional Development – Edward Vacha

  • MTA Meeting will be virtual

Negotiations – Sherry Horeanopoulos

  • Nothing to report at this time.

Old/New Business

  • FAQ of the Month for the website for December
  • New- Discussion occurred regarding increasing Chapter President’s Monthly Stipend. We agreed to wait for the final version of the auditor’s report to review the overall financials and see what this proposal would cost.
  • New- Would it be possible to define Catherine’s and Roberta’s role or expectations with the APA Executive Board? Or to create a document from APA defining the APA’s needs from the MTA.
  • Old – Determine/define Annual Dues for Retired Members for MTA/NEA and decide what APA would be.
  • Governor’s Veto of Budget Item and Unions’ Response.

Institutional Issues




  • Motion to Adjourn made at 12:33PM
  • By M. Storey, 2nd by: P. Fenuccio
    • Vote: Unanimous
    • Action: Motion Carries
  • By C. Cianfarini, 2nd by: P. Fenuccio
    • Vote: Unanimous
    • Action: Motion Carries
  • Next Meeting: 10:00 – January 15, 2021 (Zoom)